Re: Security, IP and username restrictions

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Tuomas Vanhanen" <Tuomas(at)TuomasVanhanen(dot)com>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Security, IP and username restrictions
Date: 2002-07-24 17:46:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tuomas,

> I have a situation where same user accessing the database from different
> locations (IP addresses) must have different user rights. This means, that
> same user in different locations would see different ammount of data. I know
> I can build this easily to the web based front-end, but I´d like to make the
> restriction in Postgres too.

This is not currently implemented in Postgres. Currently, pg_hba.conf
restricts IP address access, and user rights in the database define
individual table access. These two security mechanisms do not interact.

As such, you will need to use a custom solution in either your front-end code,
or by using the PostgreSQL RULEs system to restrict access.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions