Re: Howmany connections postgres can handle upto?

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Howmany connections postgres can handle upto?
Date: 2002-07-23 20:08:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 01:01:42PM -0700, Yuva Chandolu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are moving to postgres from Oarcle. When we were with Oracle, we were
> using a total of 160 connections(4 app servers each maintaining a pool of 40
> connections). After moving to postgres we want to make it higher i.e make it
> 60 connections for each app server i.e a total of 240 connections. How will
> postgres behave with this many no of connections?

It rather depends. For instance, are you running on a 386 with 4
megs of memory? I expect that it won't work. If you are running on
an 8-way Sun box with 16 gig of memory, I can report that you can
have 1024 connections without undue pain.

----
Andrew Sullivan 87 Mowat Avenue
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M6K 3E3