Re: Indexing UNIONs

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Indexing UNIONs
Date: 2002-07-18 02:29:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

Just in case there was some misunderstanding of my suggestion here is
what I had in mind.

Your query:
SELECT t1.id, t1.name, t1.abbreviation, t1.juris_id
FROM t1
UNION ALL
SELECT t2.id, t2.name, NULL, t2.juris_id
FROM t2;

My suggestion:
SELECT t3.id, coalesce(t1.name, t2.name), t1.abbreviation,
coalesce(t1.juris_id, t2.juris_id) from
(t3 left join t1 using (id)) left join t2 using (id);

t3 is the event table.
This will result in one row for each row in t3 (since id is unique accross
t1 and t2). It will contain the name, juris_id and abbreviation from
whichever table matched. I expect the query to be able to make use of
indexes in this form, though I haven;t tested it to make sure.