Re: utils C files

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: utils C files
Date: 2002-07-15 23:32:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > I have applied the following diff to make the sharing of C files among
> > modules more sane. Instead of having configure.in set the file name to
> > strdup.o and have the Makefiles specify the path, I set it to the full
> > path $(top_builddir)/src/utils/strdup.o and have the makefiles use
> > that directly, rather than going through with 'make -c dirname
> > filename'.
>
> Don't do that, it doesn't work. Building outside the source tree, weird
> compilers, etc. The current state was the result of much labor to get rid
> of exactly the state you reintroduced.

Well, the actual problem was that there was inconsistency in the way
things where handled, e.g. some had their own rules for making the *.o
files if the *.o files were out of the current directory, other didn't.
I can change it but it has to be consistent. What do you suggest?

> A secondary objection is that I've been meaning to replace configure
> checks of the form
>
> AC_CHECK_FUNCS(inet_aton, [], INET_ATON='inet_aton.o')
> AC_SUBST(INET_ATON)
>
> with one integrated macro, which doesn't work if we have to encode the
> path into configure.

The path is only the thing we assign to the variable. I can't see how
that effects the configure script. Actually, once we move stuff into
the same directory, it will not matter. They will all be in the same
directory so you can just prepend whatever directory we need.

> Also, do not tab-indent comments in makefiles. That makes them part of
> the command to execute.

Fixed. Thanks.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us