Question regarding contrib/fulltextindexing

From: "Derek Barrett" <derekbarrett(at)graffiti(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question regarding contrib/fulltextindexing
Date: 2002-07-13 20:53:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Everybody,

I've been using Postgres for a few months now and have been very impressed with it so far. The user community is also very helpful!

I was wondering if the fulltextindex module would be useful in my situation.

On the document page,

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/techdocs/fulltextindexing.php

the explanation is that the module works well with like queries like this:

SELECT *
FROM table
WHERE
f1.string ~ '^perth
AND f2.string ~ '^stralia'

In my situation, I need to match exact words, so I've used regular expressions to search on a varchar(10000) field:

SELECT *
FROM table
WHERE description ~* ('[^a-zA-Z0-9]($keyword[$x])[^a-zA-Z0-9]');

Would this module still be useful in my situation?

Thanks,

Derek