Bug #706: Wrong shlib flag for GCC compilation on Solaris

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #706: Wrong shlib flag for GCC compilation on Solaris
Date: 2002-07-09 23:46:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Richard Cook (rcook(at)insightful(dot)com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
Wrong shlib flag for GCC compilation on Solaris

Long Description
In the file .../src/Makefile.shlib, line 178, the "-G" flag is set for compilation of shared libraries on Solaris. This is okay if you are using the Sun toolset. Unfortunately GCC needs the flag "-shared" instead. The symptom that reveals this is that pgaccess won't work because libpgtcl.so contains the "main" symbol. My workaround was to edit in the new flag. Somebody on the team might want to modify the Makefile to account for use of the gcc toolset. This defect set me back three days. Please don't let anyone else suffer through this. It might be well to post it as a known problem on Solaris.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report