Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org
Cc: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION
Date: 2002-07-09 01:06:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tatsuo, it seems that we should use SQL99 terminology and commands where
> appropriate. We do not yet implement the SQL99 forms of character
> support, and I'm not sure if our current system is modeled to fit the
> SQL99 framework. Are you suggesting CREATE CONVERSION to avoid
> infringing on SQL99 syntax to allow us to use that sometime later?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I would say I would like
to follow SQL99 as much as possible.

When you say "We do not yet implement the SQL99 forms of character
support", I think you mean the ability to specify per column (or even
per string) charset. I don't think this would happen for 7.3(or 8.0
whatever), but sometime later I would like to make it reality.
--
Tatsuo Ishii