Re: (A) native Windows port

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: (A) native Windows port
Date: 2002-07-05 21:33:45
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 12:39:13PM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:

> One other usability note: why can't postmaster perform the steps of
> an initdb if -D points to an empty directory? It's not that much
> code, is it? (I know that one extra step isn't backbreaking, but
> I'm looking at this from a rank newbie's point of view -- or at
> least I'm trying to look at it in that way, as it's been a while
> since I was a rank newbie at PostgreSQL) Oh well, just a random
> thought.

Rank newbies shouldn't be protected in this way, partly because if
something goes wrong, _they won't know what to do_. Please, please,
don't be putting automagic, database destroying functions like that
into the postmaster. It's a sure way to cause a disaster at aome
point.

----
Andrew Sullivan 87 Mowat Avenue
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada