Re: Postgres idea list

From: cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres idea list
Date: 2002-06-27 12:20:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 26 Jun 2002 14:36:15 EDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
Dave Cramer <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net> said:
> Josh,
>
> 1) There is an open source implementation of java
> 2) The jdbc driver is much better than it was recently we have made lots
> of improvements, and it won't affect jpgadmin anyway. I actually think
> writing the admin tool in java will make the driver better.
> 3) Don't see this as a big issue we aren't writing something esoteric
> here.

There are "free software" implementations of Java compilers and of Java
Virtual Machines.

Are there suitable "free software" implementations of _all_ the
libraries that you will be needing to construct the admin tool?

In particular, can you direct us to a free software implementation of
Swing?

I doubt that you can, and _that_ is the characteristic problem with
Java. The language is "free enough," but the libraries you will want to
use aren't...
--
(concatenate 'string "chris" "@cbbrowne.com")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spreadsheets.html