Re: Large Objects

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Nadim Bitar <nadiizu(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large Objects
Date: 2002-06-27 07:50:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 08:56:11PM -0700, Nadim Bitar wrote:

> I have a collection of images that I want to store in a database. The
> collection is currently 12 GB.

Are you sure? Why not use standard FS and to DB store path to files? :-)

> Can anyone give me some advice or links to any documents that discuss
> the different methods to accomplish this. I already read techdocs
> documents related to large objects. I just want some advice on good ways
> to do it.

The current PostgreSQL allows to store large data to standard table
rows too. You needn't use large-object interface.

> The database is going to be accessed through a Servlet (JDBC).
> One thing that wasn't clear from techdocs was the disk space usage. If i
> store 12 GB in the database without deleting it from the filesystem, it
> is going to occupy another 12 GB. Is this right?

Sure. The database use own and private dataspace and not links to
some external files.

Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>