Re: Our archive searching stinks

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Webmaster <webmaster(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Our archive searching stinks
Date: 2002-06-21 14:07:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, I have finally decided that our archive searching stinks. I have
> emails in my mailbox that don't appear in the archives.
>
> Our main site, http://archives.postgresql.org/ doesn't archive the
> 'patches' list. (It isn't listed on the main site, and I can't find
> postings via searching.) Also, why does it open a separate window for
> each email. That doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> My backup is Google,
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql,
> but that seems to be missing emails too. Our email/news link regulary
> drops messages and therefore Google can't see them.
>
> It isn't one thing, but a general lack of quality in this area. Heck,
> we had no usable archives for _months_. Is this really only important
> to me?
>
> Oh, I see FTS is back working at http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/. I
> like the output format, but all three are give me different results.
> However, fts is invisible because I can't find a link to it from
> anywhere on our web pages.
>
> I guess I am asking:
>
> Can our main archive start doing the patches list?

Yes ...

> Can it stop opening a new window for every email?

Yes ...

> Can we find out why the email/news gateway drops messages?

Email->News gateways aren't the best to start with, since they rely on far
too many variables ... main one coming to mind is if the news server is
down for any length of time ... this should be improved now, as we moved
it over to the new server pretty much as soon as it came online, and so
far has been *alot* more stable there then on the old one ...

> Can we link to the fts site?

Should be, but it was down for a long time there, and nobody informed that
it was back up and running ... I have to talk to Theo about moving it tho,
since when we got the postgresql.org server upgraded to 4gig (from a
measely 512MB), I moved everything except for fts to v7.2 with a 1.5gig
shared memory buffer :) disk I/O still sucks, mind you, but nothing I can
do about *that* at this time ...