Re: URGENT: Performance tuning

From: Peter Dimov <jquest_j(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Ericson Smith <eric(at)did-it(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: URGENT: Performance tuning
Date: 2002-06-21 04:26:55
Lists: pgsql-general

As I wrote,
I do not make any changes in the default setup.
I make the test with index and got the same result.
On Oracle I do not have any indexes created.

Can you point me to any good structured docs about performance tuning in postgres.
Also what is the goot time that i can expect for this test.
If you have good worked and tuned postgres, can you make this test on your compute (it is very simple) and
replay the results?
I nedd this info to know if it is possible to get more from posgres or to go to oracle integration.
My wish is to work with postgres!

thanks.
Ericson Smith <eric(at)did-it(dot)com> wrote: On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 14:45, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Did you create an index? What is your shared buffers? Are you using
> Fsync, if so --- which one?

The default shared buffers that come with pgsql is very small. So you
need to really ramp this up. Read the article for some more tips. Also
check the techdocs.postgresql.org site for some good info.

For this purpose, you have to have indexes, yes.

I did not change my default Fsync settings, which i think mainly applies
to updates anyway.

- Ericson Smith
eric(at)did-it(dot)com
http://www.did-it.com