Fw: (orig posted to usenet) Advice req for restricting entry values]

From: cmasters <cmasters(at)nbnet(dot)nb(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-nov <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-gen <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Fw: (orig posted to usenet) Advice req for restricting entry values]
Date: 2002-06-15 21:20:28
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

----- Forwarded message from C-Cose Masters <cmasters(at)nbnet(dot)nb(dot)ca> -----

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:38:26 -0300
From: "C-Cose Masters" <cmasters(at)nbnet(dot)nb(dot)ca>
To: cmasters(at)nbnet(dot)nb(dot)ca
Subject: Advice req for restricting entry values

[This is an email copy of a Usenet post to "comp.databases.postgresql.novice"]

Greetings,

I'm attempting to design a database for use in a library (loan) setting.
Although I'm a novice psql user, I have had previous experience in data
mangement during the "good 'ol" text entry days.

Several of the fields have a limited set of possible values; as such, I
would like to automate the initial population and subsequent entry of new
records -- fields such as 'media', 'genre', 'interest', etc. I'd like
some input regarding the most effective way to accomplish this task.

I've considered the following, but have yet to implement any of them:

1. Somehow defining the variable for these fields as an "array" or
"matrix". Although my understanding of arrays is different from the use
(as I see it) within sql.

2. Referencing secondary tables for each of these fields. I ~have~
created and populated several secondary tables, and have added a single
constraint to the primary table for 'media' type. I am unsure how to
implement this constraint when populating.

3. Some other method?

I plan on using forms (through pgaccess) to automate this procedure
somewhat, so I'd like the eventual forms to closely reflect the design of
the table(s).

I have further questions about form design in pgaccess, but will post
them separately.

Many thanks,
C. Masters

----- End forwarded message -----