Re: PostGres Doubt

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostGres Doubt
Date: 2002-06-12 12:40:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:08:22PM -0700, Dann Corbit wrote:
> ECPG is single threading. Hence, tools written in ECPG are a pain in
> the neck if you want multiple threads of execution. I recommend against

Did he say he wants to write a multi-threaded app?

> using it for any purpose except porting a single threading project that
> already uses embedded SQL. The embedded SQL interface for PostgreSQL is
> a disaster.

Oh, that's what I call constructive critizism. I cannot remember you
filing any bug reports or asking for some special features. Wouldn't
that be the first step? And not calling other people's work a disaster.

> The libpq functions are reentrant. These will be useful for just about
> any project.

Well if they are (I never checked myself) it shouldn't be too difficult
to make ecpg reentrant too.

> If you are going to completely replace the data in a table, drop the
> table, create the table, and use the bulk copy interface.

Oh great! Talking about valuable comments. Ever bothered to even ask if
they are using triggers, constraints, etc. before coming with such a
proposal?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes