Bug #688: dump/reinstall fails with local sameuser security

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #688: dump/reinstall fails with local sameuser security
Date: 2002-06-11 01:53:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

David Kaplan (dmkaplan(at)ucdavis(dot)edu) reports a bug with a severity of 3

Short Description
dump/reinstall fails with local sameuser security

Long Description
I recently upgraded to postgresql-7.2.1-5. Before doing so I did a pg_dumpall and then after upgrade I tried psql -e < pgdump.txt. This
failed because in the upgrade pg_hba.conf had been changed to include the line:

local all ident sameuser

The end result was that psql, even though I was logged in as the postgres user and started psql as postgres, could not connect as other users to install personal databases. The fix was easy - temporarily go to trusting all. Nevertheless, it seems bad to me that the postgresql superuser was unable to connect as other users. As this is the only way to set ownership of a table that I can find, the only way around is to change the security. If there was some other way, then pg_dump could be changed to set onwership without connecting as another user.

Sample Code
psql db1 postgres
\connect - user1

--- This fails