Re: pgaccess.org - invitation for a working meeting

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Iavor Raytchev <iavor(dot)raytchev(at)verysmall(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Stanislav Grozev <stanislav(dot)grozev(at)cees(dot)org>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>, Cmaj <cmaj(at)freedomcorpse(dot)info>, Boyan Filipov <boyan(dot)filipov(at)verysmall(dot)org>, Boyan Dzambazov <boyan(dot)dzambazov(at)verysmall(dot)org>, "Bartus(dot) L" <bartus(dot)l(at)bitel(dot)hu>, Brett Schwarz <brett_schwarz(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgaccess.org - invitation for a working meeting
Date: 2002-06-04 18:51:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Iavor Raytchev wrote:
> I want on Monday to proceed and to merge at least the code we produced in
> our company with the latest pgaccess that can be found and with the code of
> Chris and Bartus.
>
> And to see if and how we (Chris, Bartus, Boyan, Teo and myself, plus all
> active people who send a signal) can work together.
>
> I think it is clear that pgaccess is for PostgreSQL, that nobody wants to
> take it away or to kill it.
>
> After we do this small step next week and 'show some code' to Peter
> Eisentraut, we can think how is best to make it available for the PostgreSQL
> users.

[ Just catching up.]

I think we have a few options. You can maintain both your current
pgaccess source and previous version CVS (if you wish) using the
PostgreSQL CVS tree. Any changes you commit will be released
automatically as part of PostgreSQL. You will have commit privileges
for PostgreSQL CVS so you will have control over the changes. (The jdbc
group already does this successfully.) Others PostgreSQL developers
will also have access to the source tree and hopefully will make changes
to keep pgaccess in sync with backend changes. You would not be
required to get approval for the patches you apply, but we do ask you to
restrict your changes to the pgaccess subdirectory unless you discuss
non-pgaccess changes on hackers.

Another options is to return to the old way we did it, where I grabbed
the most recent pgaccess version when it was released and updated the
PostgreSQL CVS.

The choice is yours.

Also, we can make our ftp distribution and mailing lists available if
they would be of value to you.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us