remnants of deleted table causing problems

From: Tim Wilson <wilson(at)visi(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: remnants of deleted table causing problems
Date: 2002-05-28 17:36:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi everyone,

Here's a strange little problem. A few days ago I wanted to delete a
column from my table named 'event'. I followed the advice in the FAQ
(select old data into new table minus the column to delete, rename old
table, rename new table, etc.) and all appeared well. I also recreated
the sequence that I'd been using.

Now I'm getting an error while trying to update a row in a different
table! Here's the query:

UPDATE location SET state = 'IA'
WHERE location_id = 18;

and the error:

ERROR: Relation 'new_event' does not exist

I used 'new_event' as the name of the newly created 'event' table. I
subsequently renamed it back to 'event'. I've looked all through the
database looking for rogue references to 'new_event', but I can't find
any.

Anyone have an idea what's going on?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson | Visit Sibley online: | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.org | http://www.zope.com