Re: problems with pg_dump... with postmaster really

From: Martín Marqués <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problems with pg_dump... with postmaster really
Date: 2002-05-23 14:24:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jue 23 May 2002 11:14, Tom Lane wrote:
> =?iso-8859-1?q?Mart=EDn=20Marqu=E9s?= <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar> writes:
> > I have found that the postmaster is dying very offen lattly, and
> > yesterday I got this error on a pg_dumpall:
> >
> > connected to template1...
> > dumping database "horde"...
> > dumping database "lismarch"...
> > pg_dump: NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
> > The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
> > died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
> > I have rolled back the current transaction and am
> > going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
> > Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
>
> This does not look like pg_dump's fault --- its backend is getting
> terminated because some *other* backend crashed, as the NOTICE is
> apparently not making sufficiently clear.
>
> What you need to find out is what that other backend was doing. Is
> there a core dump file in any of your databases? Any entry in the
> postmaster log about a failed child process? You will probably need
> to provide a gdb stack trace from a core dump before we can help very
> much. (It'd also be useful to know what PG version you are using.)

Could this be a php problem? The only client working on the DB server is php,
pg_dump, and ocationally psql when I work over the server. I could recompile
PHP.

P.D.: All this started after I upgraded PostgreSQL from 7.1.3 to 7.2.1.

--
Porqué usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si podés usar PostgreSQL?