Re: Moving data to different hard drive /or/ incremental backup

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Brian Johnson" <bjohnson(at)jecinc(dot)on(dot)ca>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Moving data to different hard drive /or/ incremental backup
Date: 2002-05-23 00:36:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

Brian,

> I'm a definite newbie at db admin - can someone point me to suitable
> instructions and/or a concept of what I should do?

See the book reviews at Techdocs:
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/techdocs/bookreviews.php
... and buy yourself a nice all-in-one book. Or two!

> I've got a feeling that I should wipe the databases from the test server and
> do a complete restore from a backup - is there a way to this this without
> having to erase each database individually?

Sure:

su postgres
pg_ctl stop
cd <postgres dir>/data
rm -rf *
initdb -D <postgres dir>/data
pg_ctl start

then load from pg_dumpall.

This is a 100% throurough erasure of the server, though ... don't do it if
you're not sure 100% of the data is backed up.

--
-Josh Berkus