Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Manuel Sugawara <masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, teg(at)redhat(dot)com (Trond Eivind =?iso-8859-1?q?Glomsr=F8d?=), brausen(at)yahoo(dot)com
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug
Date: 2002-05-21 03:12:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday 20 May 2002 08:08 pm, Manuel Sugawara wrote:
> > Where would we go to ferret out the source of this bug? More to the
> > point: we need a test case in C that could expose this as a glibc
> > bug.

> Seems like mktime(3) is having problems with dates before the
> epoch. Attached is the a program to test this. The glibc source is now
> downloading I will try to hunt down this bug but not until the next
> week.

It's not a bug. At least not according to the ISO C standard. See
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/basedefs/xbd_chap04.html#tag_04_14
for the definition of 'Seconds Since the Epoch', then cross-reference to the
man page of mktime.

I don't like it any more than you do, but that is the letter of the standard.

Thomas, any comments?

Our implementation is broken, then. Thomas, is this fixable for a 7.2.x
release, or something for 7.3?
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio