Re: ALTER TABLE hangs

From: Mike Baker <bakerlmike(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE hangs
Date: 2002-05-02 16:30:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

> > Hi.
> >
> > I am in the process of doing some data migration.
> > have had no trouble moving my data, but am having
> > problems creating a foreign key.
> >
> > When I run the following command, psql hangs
> (well,
> > not totally sure if it is hung).
>
> It probably isn't hung, but it's going to go through
> every row of the table to make sure the constraint
> holds
> successfully which is going to result in 380,000
> queries again t_release_component. I haven't had
> time
> recently to do any of the fk stuff I've been meaning
> do, but this is optimizable for most cases, but it
> hasn't
> been done.

This is true, the process was not hung, however, it
took 24 hrs to create this one foreign key.

Is there any other way to create the foriegn key, as
the next time i go through this process the table may
have up to 1 million records.

would CREATE TRIGGER be faster? i cannot have my
production database down for a week while i create a
foreign key.

thanks for your help.

mike baker