Re: What popular, large commercial websites run

From: postgres(at)vrane(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What popular, large commercial websites run
Date: 2002-05-02 16:37:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:54:12AM -0500, Shaun Thomas wrote:
> On Wed, 1 May 2002 postgres(at)vrane(dot)com wrote:
>
> > I'm very curious to know why you have problem with growing
> > database. Does the performance suffer significantly
> > if you don't do the FULL vacuum? Surely if you can
> > afford the oracle you can afford relatively much
> > cheaper storage. You must have other reasons
> > than just not liking large database
>
> Well, it's not the fact that it's growing that's the problem. It's the
> fact that 100 actual MB of frequently changed data becomes 2gigs if not
> frequently vacuumed. Even with hourly full vacuums, it still slowly

Maybe I did not make myself clear. I don't care
whether it's growing or bloating or whatever. If you don't
do the FULL vacuum does your performance suffer? Considering
that 7.2 gives you non-full vacuum I want to know
whether there are cases out there only FULL
vacuum hourly will solve/not solve.

The only problem I can see your very long essay is linux file
size limit. Well that is not postgres fault. You surely
know how to get around that problem by upgrading the system
or even switching to a different system without that limit.
Have you compared the work involved in migrating from one db to another
with one os to another? I would think they are both
equally involved.