Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction
Date: 2002-04-26 15:15:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> So you do see a difference between SET and DROP TABLE because the second
> is a utility command. OK, I'll buy that, but my point was different.
>
> My point was that we don't match Oracle for DROP TABLE, so why is
> matching for SET so important?

Good point, I never understood the compatibility issue on
this level either. Applications that create/drop tables at
runtime are IMNSVHO self-modifying code. Thus, I don't
consider it a big porting issue. Applications that do it
should be "replaced", not ported.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #