Fwd: Strange behaviour

From: Aarni <megative(at)iwn(dot)fi>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fwd: Strange behaviour
Date: 2002-04-26 05:10:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Strange behaviour
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:38:17 +0300
From: Aarni Ruuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com <aarni(dot)ruuhimaki(at)kymi(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org

Hi folks !

Where to start looking for cure ?

I have a database, simple one, about teams and team members, nothing fancy
about it, straight forward, add, mod and del teams and their members. Four
tables team_type_1, members_type_1, team_type_2 and members_type_2.

Whatever I do with this db, I have another postmaster and httpd process
started and running and these keep piling up until everything freezes and at
the same time I see this error on an other terminal window for every access,
be it even a simple select:

bash-2.04$ postmaster -D /usr/share/pgdata/
020425.18:57:20.546 [7218] DEBUG: Data Base System is starting up at Thu
Apr 25 18:57:20 2002
020425.18:57:20.546 [7218] DEBUG: Data Base System was shut down at Thu Apr
020425.18:57:20.548 [7218] DEBUG: Data Base System is in production state
at Thu Apr 25 18:57:20 2002
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection

I have default / install config on RH 7.1 and Pg is 7.1.3 which comes with RH
distribution. Nothing like this on any other db. I have scheduled vacuum for
all dbs every night. All runs on 800Mhz / 256 RAM machine. I (and others)
access the dbs via ColdFusion / web ( yes, some might have opinions about
this, but don't think it is the issue here )

What is the max or recommended max number of dbs for the system. I have now
just under 40 small ones, 'biggest' contains 11000 rows. The dump file of all
dbs is about 4.5 MB, which can't be nothing yet ?

I am a bit lost here, so please give a hint.

TIA,

aarni