Re: Connection problem

From: Ferdinand Smit <ferdinand(at)telegraafnet(dot)nl>
To: gunnar(at)gunix(dot)mine(dot)nu, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection problem
Date: 2002-04-22 12:42:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sunday 21 April 2002 09:35, Gunnar wrote:
> I'm having problems connecting to my postgresql 7.2.1 running on my Debian
> Linux box.
>
> (as root)
> $ psql template1 foobar
> psql: FATAL 1: IDENT authentication failed for user "foobar"
>
> Could anybody tell me what the problem is?
> The user "foobar" is created with the createuser command without any
> problem.
>
> Here is the pg_hba.conf
>
> local all ident sameuser
> local all trust

I think that postgres only uses the first line and that line says that
postgres uses the ident autentication (without a password if the user is the
same). This means that the user MUST exist in the /etc/passwd.
The second line (not used because the first is the same) allows al users
without a password.

So remove the first line or add user to passwd.

Ferdinand