Re: \dv and other lists SQL are unnecessarily complicated

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Bug Finder <bugs(at)iamafreeman(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: \dv and other lists SQL are unnecessarily complicated
Date: 2002-04-18 23:57:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:44:42PM +0100, Bug Finder wrote:
> Hello
>
> Please forgive me if this has been discussed before.
>
> \dv and other lists SQL are unnecessarily complicated.
>
> They all seem to be based on the \d SQL
>
> \dv currently uses

[snip]

IIRC (you should check the source), instead of having one query for each
type of \d command, there is the one query you gave with the 'c.relkind IN'
parameterised.

Yes, it makes the queries more complicated than might otherwise be
necessary, but it cleans up the source code enourmously.

> Is there a reason for this? Was it a cut'n'paste frenzy? not that there
> is anything wrong with that - whatever gets it done.

That's the point, doing it this way avoid doing any cutting and pasting at
all.

HTH,