algebraic rewriting

From: sophie yang <yangsophie(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: algebraic rewriting
Date: 2002-04-19 06:42:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

From the big picture of PostgreSQL architecture, I
understand that query processing includes parser,
rewriter, optimizer and executor. I am wondering at
which step, PostgreSQL performs algebraic rewriting?
What rules are used for rewriting? Are these rules
hard wired or are they stored in some catalog table?
If I want to check the source codes, which file should
I look at?

Thanks!!