Re: upgrade

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: Gianmarco Piola <gianco99(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: upgrade
Date: 2002-04-15 15:21:29
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 11:11:46PM +0000, Gianmarco Piola wrote:
> I want to report a problem...
> ... i am a newbie with Linux system and i barely know his structure.

Read the manual. Red Hat has good documentation. There are dozens of good
introduction to Linux articles/HOWTOs/books out there. Find a Linux Users
Group close to you and subscribe to their mailing list.

> I installed Linux Red Hat and during the installation i choose to install
> php and pgsql. After some initial problem to discover the directory where
> the pgsql was installed all worked well but then i discovered that the

On the Red Hat manual you would have read about "RPM", the Red Hat Package
Manager.

> version was 7.0. I then decided to upgrade but how? I downloaded the new
> file but the documentation(also the admin guide) on how to remove the old
> version (it is splitted in MORE then one dir) and to install the new is

It's _correctly_ split in more than one directory. To remove it you use
the "rpm" command. Or you can just upgrade to the new packaged version
using "rpm" as well.

> poor. And also there is no mention if i must do something with php for the

The PostgreSQL documentation is geared for those installing from source
(i.e. compiling). It's not "poor". It's just that you don't understand how
things work, but don't be discouraged.

Download the new rpm packages for PostgreSQL 7.2.1 from one of the ftp
mirrors, then use 'rpm -Uvh package.rpm' to upgrade each of the packages
you need.

> If you can reply please tell me where to find this info or who can i
> contact.

You could hire someone to do it for you or to teach you how.

-Roberto

--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu/ USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+
Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU - http://www.brasileiro.net/