Various issues

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>(by way of Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>)
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Various issues
Date: 2002-04-12 10:42:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dear all,

Here are some issues:

1) PostgreSQL installer (wizard)

http://www.networksimplicity.com/openssh has released an OpenSSH minimal
Cygwin installer. They have had 300.000 tracked downloads so far. If true,
this numer is superior to Cygwin downloads itself.

The installer is incompatible with Cygwin (as it installs a minimal Cygwin
layer). They also provide a minimal configuration GUI. Is this a workable
solution?

I got in contact with the installer maintainer to ask the cons/pros of such a
solution v.s. a pure Cygwin layer.

For the moment, I still agree the solution is to create a wizard in pgAdmin2

2) My current work is stopped

Right now, I am too bust to work on pgAdmin2. Feel free to pick-up any issue I
should be working on (if need to have it done quickly):
- Handle two separate connexions (one for schema, another for data queries).
The user should be able to define client_encoding for each connexion.
- Work on PostgreSQL wizard.
- Refine pseudo-alter trigger code (it was removed because unfinished).
- Add pseudo ALTER DROP COLUM (this should not be difficult using pgSchema).
I will be back on the project as soon as possible.

3) KDE3 is marvelous
I now use KDE3 which is a very nice environment. I tried writing some code in
kDevelop. It seems possible to write code fast... Therefore I am still asking
myself ***why***we should continue develop pgAdmin on Windows...

In my humble opinion, KDE needs a real database abstraction layer (like
pgSchema) with a multi-vendor interface. The only solution today is Gnome
libgda. Unfortunately, libgda is not well-written. A good abstraction layer
needs inheritence (C++, not C) and XML to handle specfic features of each
database provider.

Secondly, KDE3, Konqueror and KDevelop would probably welcome a pgAdmin port.
This would immediatly give us thousands of users. So why bother with
Windows?

Thirdly, qt3 applications can be compiled under Windows. And KDE3 is beeing
ported to Windows using Cygwin. You can be sure it is not a year before we
can use KDE3 under WIndows and MacOSX.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel