Re: deadlock problems with foreign keys

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Mario Weilguni <mario(dot)weilguni(at)icomedias(dot)com>
Subject: Re: deadlock problems with foreign keys
Date: 2002-03-28 16:30:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Mario Weilguni wrote:

> I've a severe problem with deadlocks in postgres, when using
> referential integrity it's quite easy to trigger deadlocks. I think
> the may be a bug in ri_trigger.c (discussed later). Here's some short

You might want to see recent messages about foreign keys for more
information (in the RI triggers and schemas thread, specifically
the message from Alex Hayward).

Jan's example of a failure case is why it does what it currently does
since AFAIK we don't have a weaker mechanism available to us through SPI
currently that is still sufficiently strong.