Re: slow inserts

From: Rolf Luettecke <rolf(dot)luettecke(at)michael-telecom(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slow inserts
Date: 2002-03-21 08:56:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Jodi,

> None of the data is actually committed to the database until the scripts
> complete so I believe that autocommit is turned off.

what if you try to write the output of your script into a separate file
and pipe it to a psql as input? What i mean is to strip of the processing
time for the "excel-part". Still 25 minutes to do the job?

We often insert data in the same amount (10.000 - 100.000 rows per job)
within a few seconds/minutes. A few months ago I had the same problem
"writing" a dbf-file from postgres-data: The select-statement took
milliseconds, but the conversion into db-format seems to be endless.

BTW: We also had a table (10.000s of rows / daily vacuumed) which was
rather slow during inserts (PostgreSQL 7.1.2). After upgrading to
version 7.1.3 and completely rebuild the tables, the problem went away.

Hope it helps
R. Luettecke

--
MICHAEL TELECOM AG