Re: Notify argument?

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, Jeff Davis <list-pgsql-general(at)dynworks(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Notify argument?
Date: 2002-03-20 23:23:01
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Neil Conway wrote:
> > > Is it too difficult for it's usefulness?
> >
> > AFAICT it shouldn't be too difficult. However, there is a note in the
> > TODO list referring to breaking backwards compatability with the
> > "pgNotify API". Exactly how backwards compatible do we need to be?
>
> The breakage will come when we lengthen NAMEDATALEN, which I plan to
> tackle for 7.3. We will need to re-order the NOTIFY structure and put
> the NAMEDATALEN string at the end of the struct so differing namedatalen
> backend/clients will work. If you want to break it, 7.3 would probably
> be the time to do it. :-) Users will need a recompile pre-7.3 to use
> notify for 7.3 and later anyway.

Hmmm,

seems I have to get a little more familiar with the FE/BE
stuff again. Have been pretty good at that years ago.

IIRC, the FE/BE protocol itself does not limit any length or
depends on definitions like that. So that should be an
arbitrary (read bogus) usage in libpq. The TODO entry
therefore should read

Fix Notify API's usage of NAMEDATALEN.

Jan