Firebird 2.0 moving to C++

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jasbird(at)hushmail(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Firebird 2.0 moving to C++
Date: 2002-03-20 19:35:43
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Jasbir D wrote:
> Checkout Firebird as well - which appears to be the other alternative.
>
> http://firebird.sourceforge.net/index.php
>
> q: How does open source affect the costs for companies which use
> Interbase or Firebird as an embedded server?
>
> a: Firebird server and client are free of all licensing fees,
> regardless of whether you download a binary or build it yourself from
> the source code.

I found it interesting that Firebird is moving to C++ for their base
code in 2.0. They have already started porting since releasing 1.0
recently:

What Happens after Firebird 1.0?

Well, work certainly won't stop. At the moment we have a Firebird 2.0
tree within CVS. These tree has ported the original code to C++ and
added much improved exception handling and memory management.

There are clearly some C++ constructs that would be nice to use in the
backend code, but the extra baggage and inability to limit people to
just a subset of the C++ features make such a move very questionable.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us