Re: Proposal: 7.2b2 today

From: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: 7.2b2 today
Date: 2002-03-20 18:25:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> [011106 20:01]:
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain writes:
> > I have a change I would like to discuss. It doesn't change the code
> > base, only the build system. The patches I would like to commit follow
> > this text. The only thing it does is create a config option to bytecode
> > compile the Python modules.
>
> We've seen such a patch before, but I'm still not convinced it works.
> According to my knowledge, the pre-compiled bytecode files need to be
> created after the source files have been installed in their final
> location, because the file name and timestamp is encoded in the compiled
> file (it's sort of used as a cache file). While this can be accomplished
> with a different patch, it wouldn't really work when DESTDIR is used
> because you'd create a "dead" cache file. In a sense, this operation is
> like running ldconfig -- it's outside the scope of the build system.
> Package managers typically put it in the "post install" section.

Do you have a reference for this? I tried looking for one but the only
thing I could find was http://www.python.org/doc/1.6/dist/built-dist.html
which suggests to me that they can be compiled before shipping which of
course certainly involves moving them. In any case NetBSD does this
patch before building and everything works there.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net> | Democracy is three wolves