Re: ecpg weird behavior

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Nicolas Bazin <nbazin(at)ingenico(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ecpg weird behavior
Date: 2002-03-13 14:16:23
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 10:14:41AM +1100, Nicolas Bazin wrote:
> I'm porting an application from INFORMIX to Postgresql and have found weird behaviour of ecpg:
> - when using cursors, the fetch statement needs "into ..." which does not comply with the SQL syntax,

I'm not sure what you are talking about. FETCH with INTO does not comply
to which standard? SQL3 for instance says:

<fetch statement> ::=
FETCH [ [ <fetch orientation> ] FROM ]
<cursor name> INTO <fetch target list>

If I omit the INTO how shall it know the variables?

> - a type definition needs to be written twice: the C version and the SQL version. It is easy to modify the preproc to only have the SQL definition (I have done it and can submit a patch if anyone is interested),

Yes, I am. Please send it to me directly at meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

> Also I have found a bug in the way the preproc handles preproc conditions "EXEC SQL IFDEF ...". I have submitted the patch to fix it to hackers but it looks like it's been ignored.

It seems you mail got delayed as it just arrived in my mailbox. But I
take it this is the patch you already send me a few days ago (after all
this mail I'm replying to was written March 7th). So it should be in CVS
already.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes