Re: ALTER CONSTRAINT FOREIGN KEY

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Charles Hauser <chauser(at)acpub(dot)duke(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER CONSTRAINT FOREIGN KEY
Date: 2002-03-13 16:02:28
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Charles Hauser wrote:

> When I created a TABLE clone I initially defined a column:
> gb_accessions_id INTEGER REFERENCES gb_accessions(gb_accessions_id) NULL
>

> I have renamed TABLE gb_accessions to TABLE gb, and its column
> gb_accessions_id to gb_id.
>
> I next renamed the column 'gb_accessions_id' in TABLE clone to 'gb_id'.
> In renaming this column in TABLE clone I appear to have lost the
> reference to TABLE gb (see below).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. During which step in my renaming did this occur?

As soon as you renamed either the table or column the constraint got
broken.

> 2. How should I have carried this out?

Pretty much you need to kill the references constraint that was there.
This involes dropping the triggeres involved in the constraint (see
techdocs.postgresql.org for more details - they've got some writings
that will help)

> 3. Can I add back REFERENCES gb(gb_id)?
Yes, use alter table add constraint to add the constraint back.