Re: Uniqueness of rule, constraint, and trigger names

From: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Uniqueness of rule, constraint, and trigger names
Date: 2002-03-04 20:43:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

On 4 Mar 2002 at 15:38, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org> writes:
> > On 4 Mar 2002 at 14:24, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> ... but I'm a little worried about the possibility of errors
> >> in loading schemas from existing databases, where there might be
> >> non-unique constraint names.
>
> > Create a tool to generate unique constraint names during a dump.
>
> And then all we need is a time machine, so we can make existing
> instances of pg_dump contain the tool? It's not that easy ...

*sigh*

You don't have to modify all previous versions of pg_dump. They use this
tool if they want to upgrade to this version. There is no perfect
solution. Even a script to check for uniqueness might help. I'm just
trying to help the best way I can; by providing suggestions. As
requested.

> I am not sure that there's really a problem here, because I don't
> think duplicate constraint names will be generated during plain
> CREATE operations. However, an ALTER TABLE might leave you with
> a problem. Hard to tell if this is critical enough to worry about.

It would be easily detected at load time. Then you direct the user to the
tool mentioned above.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples