Re: elog() patch

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: elog() patch
Date: 2002-03-01 05:00:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

OK, I have talked with Peter via phone and he is OK with the patch
assuming the changes I have outlined below. This is not a total
overhaul of elog() but rather a major cleanup. These changes are in the
direction of where we want to head.

Peter is also concerned if allowing clients to see elog() messages is a
security problem. Clients can't see postmaster messages because there
is no client at the time, but backend messages will be visible. I can't
think of any server log messages that shouldn't be seen by the client.
Does anyone else?

> Here is a patch to clean up elog():
>
> ftp://candle.pha.pa.us/pub/postgresql/mypatches/elog
>
> Here is the detail:
>

> REALLYFATAL => PANIC
> STOP => PANIC
> New INFO level the prints to client by default
> New LOG level the prints to server log by default
> Cause VACUUM information to print only to the client in verbose mode
> VACUUM doesn't output to server logs
> NOTICE => INFO where purely information messages are sent
> DEBUG => LOG for purely server status messages
> DEBUG removed, kept as backward compatible (will be added near 7.3)
> DEBUG5, DEBUG4, DEBUG3, DEBUG2, DEBUG1 added
> DebugLvl removed in favor of new DEBUG[1-5] symbols
> New server_min_messages GUC parameter with values DEBUG[5-1], INFO, LOG, ...
> New client_min_messages GUC parameter with values DEBUG[5-1], LOG, INFO, ...
> Server startup now logged with LOG instead of DEBUG
> Postmaster -d flag effects only postmaster message, not backend messages

Changed. Postmaster -d propogates to backends, like current. New -d 0
postgres parameter allows this propogation to be turned off.

> Remove debug_level GUC parameter
> elog() numbers now start at 10
> Add test to print error message if older elog() values are passed to elog()
> Bootstrap mode now has a -d that requires an argument, like postmaster

> This clears the -d debug level on backend start. Is that done correctly?

I cleared this up with Peter.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us