Re: Large Objects

From: Alexander Steinert <stony8(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large Objects
Date: 2002-02-28 22:56:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Don't use them. They were needed when Postgres only supported 8k
> per row. Now you can just use the 'text' datatype for text data
> and the 'bytea' datatype for binary data. You have a limit of a
> few gigs per row with them.

The problem with the text or bytea type is, that inserting large amounts
of data causes a big performance loss because everything must go through
the SQL-Parser. I would be glad if someone would correct me.

So far I have found no way to grant integrity / use PG's transactions
for large objects with satisfying performance. lo_import/export for
bytea would be a very nice interface to transfer directly between the
database and files readable/writable by the client process.

Suggestions are welcome.

Stony