Re: Oracle vs PostgreSQL in real life

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul(dot)argudo(at)idealx(dot)com>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)itmeedia(dot)ee>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle vs PostgreSQL in real life
Date: 2002-02-28 13:58:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 02:39:47PM +0100, Jean-Paul ARGUDO wrote:

> 2) if prepared statments and stored execution plan exist, why can't thos be used
> from any client interface or simple sql?

There is "execute already parsed query plan" in SPI layout only.
The PostgreSQL hasn't SQL interface for this -- except my experimental
patch for 7.0 (I sometime think about port it to latest PostgreSQL
releace, but I haven't relevant motivation do it...)

> 3) You tell us we can "move to the backend" some queries: do you mean we would
> have better performances with stored functions in plpgsql?

You needn't use plpgsql only. You can use C/C++, Tcl, Perl, Python.
IMHO best performance has C + SPI + "store execution plan".

But don't forget the path of query in PostgreSQL is not query
parser only. Use "execute already parsed query plan" has effect
if you use some query really often and the query spend in parser
longer time....

Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>