About vacuuming

From: Peter Peltonen <peter(dot)peltonen(at)fivetec(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: About vacuuming
Date: 2002-02-27 15:12:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Questions regarding PostgreSQL 7.1.3 (if things are different with 7.2 I'd
like to know that too :)

How often one should vacuum his db?

Is vacuum --analyze for just providing information or does it somehow
store it's info for postgresql's use (in other words: should I run it too,
and if so, should I do it before or after the real vacuum?).

Should postmaster be running or not when vacuuming?

Regards,
Peter