Re: [HACKERS] Updated TODO item

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, Kaare Rasmussen <kar(at)kakidata(dot)dk>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Updated TODO item
Date: 2002-02-25 02:52:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> >
> > > A much better idea. There is no conflict in using OWNER here.
> > > Revised patch attached.
> >
> > I have applied this patch, with a couple of editorial tweaks, and one
> > not-so-minor change: superuser privilege is required to create a
> > database on behalf of another user. Seems to me that CREATEDB
> > privilege should not be sufficient to allow such an operation.
> >
> > Still to do: teach createdb script about it, and revise pg_dumpall
> > to use the facility instead of assuming that database owners have
> > CREATEDB privilege. Working on those now ...
>
> Seems you are already on that too. I will wait for you to finish, when
> there will be nothing left for me to do. :-(

I have applied this minor patch. I don't want to document the ability
to use equals in this case because some day we may remove it. The
equals doesn't fit with any of our other WITH clauses. I cleaned up a
paragraph on OWNER, and mentioned we may want to remove the equals
backward compatibility hack someday.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size