Re: Solaris ISM Testing

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "P(dot)J(dot) \"Josh\" Rovero" <rovero(at)sonalysts(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Solaris ISM Testing
Date: 2002-02-22 04:58:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The attached email shows that Solaris benefits from the ISM or Intimate
Shared Memory setting during shmat() shared memory creation. It causes
processes mapping the same shared memory to shared mapping pages _and_
locks the pages in RAM.

I know many OS's lock shared memory in RAM anyway, or have OS parameters
that control this (FreeBSD), but it seems Solaris does this on a per
shmat() basis. Should we add this flag to shmat() calls for Solaris?

Josh, can you supply a patch for our review?

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us