Re: serious problems with BOOL and Access

From: Stephen Davies <scldad(at)sdc(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Markus Wagner <wagner(at)imsd(dot)uni-mainz(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: serious problems with BOOL and Access
Date: 2002-02-21 23:06:49
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I have managed to get bools to work with Access and VB.

My set up is:

On the windows side:
variables are declared as boolean
Bools as char is OFF
Maxlongvarchar=4094 (Not part of the bool problem but fixed another
problem)
Row versioning ON

On the PG side:
variables declared as bool
int4eq functions and operators for xid/int and bool/int as described
in the ODBC doco.

HTH,
Stephen Davies
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:42:41 +0100, Markus Wagner said:
> Hi,
>
> we're in serious trouble with an application using BOOLs. We have boolean
> attributes in a pg table, being represented as checkboxes in Access. Changing
>
> these controls results in an error message "another user has changed the
> data", or something like that.
>
> We tried nearly everything. The mailing list archives gave hints to the pg
> ODBC driver, the "bools as char" flag and so on. We tried with and without
> this flag. Then, without it, the problem seemed to be solved. But we found
> that now the data must have been changed several times in different records,
> before the problem reappears.
>
> Our current settings are "bools as char" off, "text as longvarchar" off. The
> bools are normal BOOL attributes of size 1, as reported by pgaccess. We also
> tried to change the table properties for the fields in Access, "display as
> checkbox" and so on. We drag the fields from the field list into the form.
> But also changing the ODBC-connected tables directly results in the same
> error.
>
> Isn't there a unique solution to that? Why are bools that critical?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Markus

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

This email is for the person(s) identified above, and is confidential to
the sender and the person(s). No one else is authorised to use or
disseminate this email or its contents.

Stephen Davies Consulting scldad(at)sdc(dot)com(dot)au
Adelaide, South Australia. Voice: 08-8177 1595
Computing & Network solutions. Fax: 08-8177 0133