Re: [CYGWIN] Question about character encoding

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: "Markus Wollny" <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>, <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CYGWIN] Question about character encoding
Date: 2002-02-21 13:27:25
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-cygwin

> I installed the latest cygwin snapshot along with PostgreSQL 7.2; I
> access the DB using the latest PGAdmin II 1.2.0. Almost everything seems
> to be working fine - with one major glitch: I just cannot insert nor
> select strings containing german umlaute or any other special characters
> into my database.
> I selected Unicode as encoding (was that correct?), but when I do

pAlthough it may sound strange, gAdmin2 is not yet compatible with Unicode
for various reasons explained at pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot) Unicode is
mainly used for non european languages.

SQL_ASCII encoding can handle most european languages, including German. So,
just create a database with SQL_ASCII encoding. And this will solve your
problem.

(If you are really interested by Unicode, use pgAdmin2 to create and maintain
the schema of your database. But don't use it ***yet*** to view or insert
data. Use Apache/Php or Java instead.)

Das lebte die deutsche-französische Freundschaft,
Jean-Michel pOURE

Dave : I am going to set defaut database encoding to SQL_ASCII. This will
avoid a confusion.