execute permissions of stored procedures?

From: eric(at)datalink(dot)nl
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: execute permissions of stored procedures?
Date: 2002-02-18 18:03:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Right now I am evaluating PostgreSQL to see whether it can replace our current
databse server Solid (3.0). It looks like PostgreSQL has a lot of nice extra
features that I would love to use. But there is one thing that I simply can't
find anywhere.

In Solid it was possible to create a procedure (It looks like that a postgreSQL
function is similar to that) and then to do a GRANT for EXECUTE rights on this
procedure. How can I do this in PostgrSQL?

I want to use PostgreSQL as a database for our dynamic website, and the only
thing I want to allow to the standard 'webuser' is to execute some procedures.
The use of a grant to a procedure allows me to be able to insert/update some
specific rows in a database in a very specific way by a user that normally
wouldn't even be allowed to do a SELECT on this table.

--
#!perl # Life ain't fair, but root passwords help.
# Eric Veldhuyzen eric(at)terra(dot)telemediair(dot)nl