Re: Upgrading to 7.2

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pgsql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrading to 7.2
Date: 2002-02-15 21:03:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com> writes:
> > Does initdb deletes the old database?
>
> initdb will refuse to overwrite a non-empty directory.

Thanks. Just blew it away.

> If you have the disk space, I'd recommend renaming the old $PGDATA
> directory out of the way, so you'll have it in case something goes
> disastrously wrong. Otherwise, remove it.
> regards, tom lane

I actually have a "production" and a "test" machine. I am doing this on
the test machine first, copying the data from the production machine.
If all goes well then I do the production machine. This way I have a
working database server during the upgrade (we will also point the clients
to the test machine while we upgrade the production machine).