Re: [BUGS] Bug #581: Sequence cannot be deleted

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: nbazin(at)ingenico(dot)com(dot)au, Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Bug #581: Sequence cannot be deleted
Date: 2002-02-12 21:58:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 21:48, Tom Lane wrote:
> I believe that the surprising-name problem will largely go away anyway
> as soon as we get around to increasing the default NAMEDATALEN. With
> a decent name length no one would ever see truncation in practice.

Sorry to butt in here, but I would second this suggestion. One of my databases
has rather long-winded table and field names (mostly in German, which doesn't
help much ;-). There aren't any which exceed 31 characters on their own, but
sequences can get scarily long, so I always build with NAMEDATALEN set to 128,
just to be on the safe side.

Is there any reason for the default value (31 characters?), or are there
any performance issues associated with longer values?

> Also, of course, what we really want is for SERIAL sequences to get
> dropped by themselves when the parent table is dropped, and then users
> don't need to know what the generated sequence name is ...

This would be nice.

Yours

Ian Barwick