Re: 7.1.3 : copy from stdin is very slow!

From: Chris Gamache <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.1.3 : copy from stdin is very slow!
Date: 2002-02-07 13:32:16
Lists: pgsql-general

It didn't balk at the 2*max_connections, but I changed it to 128 anyway. I
stopped the import after 34 hours... I shutdown and restarted the postmaster,
hoping the new config values would make a difference. It seems very strange
that I was able to import this data into my 7.0.3 database in under three
hours. It would seem the same import is taking longer by several orders of
magnitude with 7.1.3.

There is one difference that I might make note of. Before (7.0.3) I used a
mount point for the data drive of /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/ ... I have since
moved the mount point up one level ... /usr/local/pgsql/data/ ... So data/
resides on the same drive that base/ does (7.1.3). It seemed more logical to do
it that way. However, I have heard that by moving the pg_xlog to a different
drive the performance is increased. I can't confirm this in the documentation,
though.

I'm still at a loss for what could be going on.