Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server

From: Jeff Davis <list-pgsql-hackers(at)dynworks(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server
Date: 2002-02-07 02:25:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Let's make a pro cons list of thread related aspectcs here. We saw a lot of
> cons. Write some pros explicitely. We're not in a hurry anyway.

I think in addition to pros/cons, an important question is:
How has threading influenced other DBMS's? I know MySQL uses threading, at
least in the development version; how much has it helped? Is the utility of a
database based partly on the presence of threading? Take Oracle, MsSQL, and
others; which have threading and which seem to gain from threading?

I don't follow the other DB's as closely, so I don't know the answers.

I suspect that looking at other databases will give us a clue about the
magnitude of the pros, rather than just the areas of influence.

Regards,
Jeff